I love making easy desserts that are extremely delicious. I don’t have a
Sweet tooth at all and I hardly crave for chocolates, ice-cream and the likes. So if you are looking for a large 8-layered fancy chocolate slathered cake, you won’t find it in here :). I have never felt like getting into all that effort for a dessert. But I do live with a person who is the exact opposite. His teeth are all sweet ;). So once in a while, I have to make the puddings, cakes, muffins, cheer, cookies, etc. for S. He has often commented about the lack of dessert posts in my blog [ can you sense the ulterior motive? ;)] and I agree. So I am trying to make at least a couple of healthy desserts each month.
I think Carrot Kheer would be one of my go-to dessert recipes if I had a lot of guests coming in. Not a lot of effort or time involved in making this one, but the result is super delicious and also makes you feel healthy. Carrot always does. 🙂 So let us get on to learning how to make this kheer.
Serves – 2
Prep Time – 10 min
Cook time – 15 min
Carrot – 4 media, chopped into medium sized pieces
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/4 cup minus 1.5 Tsp
Raisins – 1 Tsp
broken Cashews – 1 Tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 Tsp
Ghee – 1.5 Tsp
How do you do it
1. Take the carrots and 1 cup milk in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Let this cool completely. Blend this milk-carrot using your mixer jar into a smooth paste and keep.
2. Heat ghee in a pan, add cashews and raisins and roast until they brown. Keep aside.
3. In the same pan, add the blended carrot-milk paste and saute for 3-5 minutes. This is just to make sure there is no raw smell. Cool this mixture again.
4. Take the remaining one cup of milk in a thick bottom milk pan and bring to boil. When it starts to boil, add the sugar, cardamom powder and stir. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes until the milk thickens and reduces in quantity. Cool completely.
5. Mix the reduced milk and sauteed blended carrot-milk paste and the raisins, nuts together. Fill them up in individual glasses and chill them in the refrigerator.
You could add some chopped almonds on top while serving. Enjoy! 🙂